It’s a boring Tuesday morning. I am trying to develop a tasty recipe (I am thinking dessert) for the blog by mind and creative skills are dull right now. Super dull. So I started browsing the internet for inspiration and this is what I found: a wonderful dessert recipe from the blog food www.feastingathome.com. I must admit, I am not a fan of berry based desserts but when that looks this good, I am but morally obliged to give it a shot. So I am going to make this at home and see if It can covert me from a chocolate lover to a berry lover.
2 1/2 cups flour ( see tip above)
2 C Fresh or frozen Blackberries
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cold butter- sliced into 8 pieces
1 cup sourdough starter or sour cream or plain greek yogurt ( or soy yogurt)
1/3 C milk or cream (plus more if necessary)
lemon zest of one lemon
1 beaten egg, for brushing, optional
1/4 C Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Cup powdered Sugar
1 T butter (optional)
- Line a 8 inch cake pan with plastic wrap and fill with 2 Cups blackberries. If your berries are very tender, freeze before hand, this way they will hold their shape a little better.
- In a food processor, pulse flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar and lemon zest. Pulse in cold butter until mix resembles course sand. In a small bowl mix milk and sourdough starter ( or sour cream or yogurt) together.
- Add starter mixture to the food processor and pulse until it just forms a ball ( just a few times) adding a little more milk only if necessary. Dough should be heavy and thick. Don’t over work.
- Spread the dough over the blackberries and press down gently, into all the corners. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the freezer over night, or for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Remove from freezer, remove saran, invert on cutting board. Let sit 15-20 minutes or longer until thawed enough to cut.
- Cut into 8 equal size pie shape wedges. Brush with beaten egg (optional). Place on parchment lined baking sheet, and bake for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown.
While baking, make glaze. Stir sugar into lemon juice in a small pot on the stove until dissolved. Whisk in butter (optional). Set aside. Drizzle over warm scones.
Prep time: 15 minutes plus 4 hours freeze time
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 4 hour 40 mins
Also Read: Creamy Spinach Soup With Garlic