A healthy weekend indulgence, Chicken Parmesan is a dish easy to cook in a skillet too. So if you don’t have an OTG or simply want to cook a simple chicken meal on your gas stove, this recipe is just what you need!
The tomato sauce adds a punch of flavour to this dish. While you can use bottled tomato sauce, freshly made sauce ensures your dinner is not just yummy but very healthy and nutritious too.
Recipe For The Homemade Sauce (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1 small Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Tomatoes, crushed
- Handful of fresh Basil leaves
- A pinch of Salt & Pepper
- Heat a medium saucepan and pour in the oil.
- Sauté the onions and garlic for a minute until pink.
- Add the crushed tomatoes with basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Now reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes until the sauce thickens.
Recipe for Skillet Parmesan Chicken
- 4 Chicken Breasts, boneless
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cups Tomato Sauce (homemade or bottled)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ cup Mozzarella Cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp freshly chopped Parsley, for garnish
- Use a meat mallet to pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4th inch thick.
- Combine lime juice, salt, pepper and garlic powder in a bowl and rub this mixture generously into each of the chicken breasts.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chicken pieces in the oil and sear them on both sides to seal in the juices by cooking on high flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce and mozzarella cheese to the pan and cook, covered for 5 to 10 minutes on low heat until the chicken is cooked through.
- Turn the chicken pieces to ensure the sauce coats both sides evenly.
- Add the parmesan to the pan, cover, and cook for another 2 minutes on low heat so that the cheese melts on top.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and serve hot with crusty whole wheat bread.