But cooking is so tedious, right? Wrong. Well, it actually depends on what you are a cooking. Take this 3 ingredients lentil rice recipe, for instance. It is one of the most satisfying and nourishing dishes, ever. Easy to prepare since it takes only about 10 minutes and makes you feel calm post eating, maybe a bit sleepy. That’s why I recommend that you prepare this with brown rice instead.
The humble lentil is nature’s gift and all together, this recipe is what you need when you are tired, sad, or just want some soul food.
You Will Need
- I cup soaked brown rice. Ideally, soak it for 3 hours. I prefer the the brown rice from Conscious Food. Its somehow tastier than all the other versions available in the market and it cooks faster.
- 1/2 cup orange lentil
- 1/2 cup yellow lentil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 teaspoon ghee
If you are worried that eating rice will make you put on weight, then you should read Will Eating Rice Make Me Fat? If you have never tried a Minced Lamb and Poha Pulav, then you are missing out. Trust me.
- Take a pressure cooker and put it on medium flame. Okay, I have to admit: I am a sucker for colorful utensils and cooking gear. Take a look at this gorgeous red pressure cooker! Its red!
- Once hot, add the teaspoon of ghee, chillies onions and fry for 1 minutes. Don’t fry for longer as you don’t want to burn the onions.
- Strain and add the brown rice along with the lentils, which also should be strained.
- Add 3 cups of water and salt.
- Cover the pressure cooker with the lid and cook on high flame for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, reduce the flame to low and cook for 6 minutes more.
- Take off the lid and check the consistency of the rice and the lentils. It should be well done by now and nicely meshed together.
- Add more salt if needed.
- Serve hot.
You can also have this dish with some cold yogurt if it’s a hot day. The lentil rice can be modified as per your restaurants also, You can veggies such as carrots and beans, instead of water you can use vegetable broth to make it more nutritive. If you prefer meat-based dishes, add small cubes of boiled chicken and replace the water with chicken broth.
Eat It With
Yoghurt goes great with this dish because it’s extremely cooling and relaxes the entire mind and body. Also, if your stomach is feeling a bit iffy, then adding yoghurt will work wonders in calming your tummy.
I personally like to enjoy this dish with a salad made from cucumbers and other vegetables in my fridge. On days I am really hungry, I add a boiled egg to the salad for the extra dash of protein. Since I generally make this dish for dinner and after my workout, adding the egg really fills me, so that’s good.
This lentil rice super flexible and can be modified for any occasion and taste buds. For example, add an omelette on the top of the rice and you get a really delicious egg-rice combination. Or else, this is simple good as it is. Just try it out and I sure you will absolutely love it. And incase you are in the mood for something soup-y, then try this Chicken Curry Soup with Noodles.