As a digital strategist at an ad agency and freelance writer, I was accustomed to late nights, long hours and her work was my number one priority, no matter what. Not surprisingly, my typical workday usually consisted of 10-14 hours at a stretch with multiple cups of green tea and not so nutritional foods.
But then something strange happened; my body ache got worse and that was followed with the worst sore throat of my life. I just couldn’t shake it off. As days passed, I started losing weight and had to take weeks off from work, because I was exhausted and confined to bed.
My diagnosis? Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). According to Asha Patyal, MD, Acupuncture, Chronic fatigue syndrome is a serious disorder and is usually caused by a declining immune system, low blood pressure, and hormonal imbalance or can be also triggered by an infection. “A bone-deep lethargy which gets worse by the lack of vigour, and fatigue that’s inexplicable and no matter how much you sleep or rest, it’s still there. CFS can’t be diagnosed by a causal medical condition”, she added.
What Causes It?
Let’s give the glory to modern lifestyle. To be specific, there are many things that cause CFS and our fast-paced, hectic lifestyle is just one of the contributing factors. Not to forget, poor lifestyle, bad diet, emotional stress leads to CFS, if it continues for too long.
Other factors include:
- Too much caffeine or alcohol
- Unhealthy sleep patterns or sleeping for less than 8 hours a night
- A diet which consists of fried and processed foods
- Prolonged stress such as work problem or family issue
- Long hours
- Environmental factors such as pollution.
But let’s be clear here. Many people feel tired a lot of times and it does not imply that they all are suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
The 5 Main Indicators of CFS Are:
- Extreme tiredness which feels new and unshakable
- Lasts at least 6 months
- Doesn’t ease with bed rest
- Irritability, forgetfulness and inability to concentrate
- Muscle weakness
A Change of Plan, Please
“A lifestyle and diet alteration is the first and most important step you need to take”, says Asha Patyal. “The condition does not manifest itself overnight but is caused by years of adrenal exhaustion. Thus, it takes at least 6 months to reverse the condition and must be done holistically, she adds.
Even if you are not sure if you are suffering from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it’s always wise to take steps to help your body cope and heal from everyday stress and exhaustion and some simple diet and lifestyle changes can work wonder.
Here Are 5 Simple Tips To Help You Get Started:
- Sleep by 10.30 pm every night. Staying up past 10.30 gives the signal to the adrenaline to stay “charged” and you may find it difficult to fall asleep after that.
- Follow a routine. A simple routine like meal times will calm down your adrenals and help you recover.
- Hydrate. Avoid coffee and try and stick to water only.
- Eat healthy. Avoid processed food at all costs.
- Take it easy. Avoid tiring yourself on days you feel low of energy.
It’s important to realise that you are in charge of your health and ultimately small tweaks can lead to big results. Also, incorporate some gentle yoga in your life and the below mentioned yoga routine is simply wonderful!