We all overthink once in a while about the things that we should have said in the argument or play an entire scenario in the head over and over again which end up on making negative predictions of future events. Overthinking is a waste of time and efforts that you put in such thoughts that will give you nothing but stress.
Although it is common and everybody experience it frequently, but it becomes toxic for the people who cannot get over it and keep on worrying about different scenarios in mind. Not only it acts as a barrier in becoming productive but it also gives rise to many mental and emotional health problems.
What Are The Disadvantages Of Overthinking?
- Self-doubt: Overthinking makes a person doubtful on its self-worth. He/she will always have negative thoughts about themselves which also lowers down their confidence level.
- Stress: Continuously thinking about something makes a person stressful on the situation that has not even occurred. Additionally, they are prone to negative outcomes of such thoughts rather than the positive.
- Tired: Overthinking generates a feeling of tiredness and headache since your brain is continuously working on something which is not worth at all.
- Depression: In a state of helplessness and negative attitude, we are prone to depression because of the results which have nothing to do with reality.
- Time-consuming: Overthinking consumes a lot of your valuable time and gives no final results. It is as similar to an unproductive day.
- Ruin Relationships: Overanalyzing things affect relationships to a great extent. The never-ending thoughts of whether your partner is cheating or worrying about what your partner thinks about you make the condition worse for any relationship to survive.
Since now you are aware of the harmful effects of overthinking, stop wasting your precious time on the loop of thinking and start looking for the steps to overcome it.
To make your task easier, I have listed a few of the many ways to overcome overthinking. Try them out and remove the barrier of overthinking permanently from your head:
- Keep a diary handy: Jot down every situation/event that causes you to overthink. This will help you to be aware of such things that trigger you the most so the next time you can prepare yourself to avoid similar situations in the future or have certain measures to overcome overthinking. Also read: Can Positive Thinking Lead To Depression?
- Initiate conversation: Take out some time from your busy schedule and talk to the concerned person due to which you are overanalyzing things again and again. You never know what he/she is going through in their personal life. It’s better to clear things instead of making false scenarios in the head. Trust me, it will make your bond stronger than before.
- Share with your family/friends: Overthinking paves the way to fear and anxiety. As you have made up negative thought in head, you will remain in constant fear. On the other hand, sharing such thoughts with your beloved ones will give a sense of relief and they can also help you to stop overthinking. Moreover, it will make you more confident and motivated to face the situation in reality.
- Distract yourself from such thoughts: Indulge in everything that makes you happy be it dancing, exercise, yoga, long drive, shopping, etc. This is one of the best ways to get relieved from the stress and cheer up the mood in case of complications.
- Take a healthy diet: Our food choices highly affect our mood and stress-level. Eating a healthy diet consisting of fresh fruits and veggies reduces the effects of stress and anxiety. Cut off sugary and unhealthy junk food which rather adds to increasing stress level by causing sleep disorders, headaches, decreased immune system, feeling of irritation, etc.
You can add the following food items that help to improve your mental health:
- Green veggies like spinach, kale, cucumber, lettuce, etc.
- Citrus fruits which have a high content of vitamin C like oranges, grapefruits, strawberries, etc.
- Nuts especially walnuts & almonds
- Seeds- Chia & Sunflower seeds
- Whole grains – Wholegrain bread, Brown rice & Oatmeal
- Stay hydrated: Hydration is the cure for every single problem. Drink plenty of water at least 7-8 glass every day to be stress-free and happy. Other than water add coconut water, lemon water fresh and pure cold-pressed juices to fulfil the hydration as well as the nutritional requirement of the body.
DO NOT drink sugary artificial drinks as they cause several health problems with a hike in stress-level.
- Stay Positive: “Everything happens for a good reason.” You must have heard of this idiom. Don’t you? This is what you have to follow every day and in every situation, no matter how tough it gets! Also read: Changing The Way You Think WILL Transform Your Life
Positive thinking put an end on all those negative thoughts that you anyway come up with during overthinking. Always remember everything comes and goes. So, stop worrying!
- Live in Reality: Predicting the future in the present is the worst thing that you could do with yourself. Learn how to enjoy the present moment and make the most out of it. After all, Life is too short to worry about unnecessary things that have not even happened yet!
- Lift-up from the failures: Most likely, we become tensed and stressed while remembering our failures. Just because you have failed once doesn’t mean you are going to do it every time. Keep on trying and surely you will get success. May be not today but in the future for sure.
- Take medical help: If you still end up on revolving around the thoughts despite trying your best to hold on your habit of overthinking then it is advised to visit counsellor or psychologist. Experts guidance will surely help you recover in best ways possible.
Instead of thinking too much, start acting and doing the tasks. Do not let overthinking consume your time, energy and efforts. When you stop overthinking, you will find yourself in a good mental and physical state. Focus on good things, start accepting facts, and calm your mind rather than spending time over and over again on useless thoughts.
You can be whoever you want to be. Just believe in yourself, live in the present moment and stop worrying about the future. Don’t be an over-thinker! Stop this vicious cycle of thinking and be realistic. All the best!